If you’ve been on the fence about joining; If you want to be a part of an awesome hackerspace; If you want to help support an awesome community; If you want to learn or teach Electonics, Penetration Testing, Information Security, Programming, Robotics, etc; We need your help now!
For the next 3 weeks, we are collecting commitments for members to join our next iteration of theTransistor hackerspace. We are looking for members that can commit at least $50/mo for 12 months.
Most of the details are included in our previous post:
If you are ready to join, you can make your commitment at the following link:
In the event that we reach our goal, we should be setting up July 1st; and your commitment will apply to your LAST months payment. This means that on July 1, members that have committed will be required to make their first months payment.
If for some horrible reason we don’t make our goal in the next 3 weeks, we will refund all commitments to the hackerspace. If you know anyone that is interested, please share this information any way you feel appropriate.
If you have any questions, please contact me at d3c4f -at- [thisdomain] We’ll keep this post updated as new questions come in.
Thanks again! We hope to see everyone involved.
UPDATE 0: A couple people have asked for some pictures of the interior as well as the address of the new location. I am attaching a brochure to this post that includes all the details as well as a few pictures of the inside of one of the suites. The suite we are working on is Suite E.
PDF BROCHURE : CLICK HERE.
UPDATE 1: Here’s a list of some of the building amenities:
- RFID access control : 24x7x365 Access
- Common Kitchen, Bathrooms (aka building maintained)
- Large parking lot, that is mostly empty after 5pm and on weekends
- Good Environmental Controls. No more warehouse hot/cold.
- Full service. Everything but internet
UPDATE 2: Some things that theTransistor will have:
- Internet! We are looking into a few options, but it should be something pretty good.
- Networking to major areas, wifi for the rest.
- Electronics Gear : Soldering Stations, Hot Air Rework Station, Misc. Spare Components
- Electronics Diagnostic Gear : Multimeters, Oscilloscopes, etc
- Hand tools. Screw drivers, pliers, diagonal cutters, etc.
- 3d printer(s). Available to those that take some basic training
- MAME Cabinet(s). We will be bringing in the 4 Player MAME cabinet to the public area
- Lounge Stuff. Flat-Panel TV(s), Projectors, etc will be brought in again.
- Classroom : Free to schedule. Will have desks, chairs, power, projector, etc.
- Game Servers. We’ll be bringing back the games. :P
- Library. The Transistor Physical Tech-Book Library.
- Storage. ALL members will receive a small storage cube.
- LAN Parties. Regularly scheduled LAN Parties.
- Tech Meetings / Talks. Talks from the Open Source User Groups Communities.
- VPS : We are working to get some of our server hardware reconfigured to provide each member with a VPS to do testing / etc on.
- Private Desk areas will include a separate, locked room for each 6-8 Private Desk Members.
- Security Cameras. We will have our security cameras up again. They should cover the entire space. This helps us provide a more secure environment for all members.
- Group Projects. Those that have worked on these in the past, can confirm these are super fun.
- Electronics / Hardware / Security talks : DC801 and theTransistor will be working on providing public talks / classes again. We can’t do this without a space. Help us, and we’ll try to help anyone interested.
- COMMUNITY : The most important thing on this list! This space will allow us to help cross-interact with the Utah Open Source Community by providing a dedicated space for User Group Meetings. Plus it’s a great way to meet all kinds of interesting people. :)
- Pranks! Always kind-hearted. And always funny.
- Community Parties : We generally throw a Halloween and New Years Party.
- Quiet Work Space* : Home offices can be a little too distracting sometimes. This is a great place to get away and get some work done! (*typically, before 9pm.)
- HackerSpace Decor : BYO Posters, LED Lighting, etc. We’ll keep the space awesome!
- Possible Small CNC Machines. d3c4f may bring his small CNC Mill/Lathe in for members to use.
- Possible Laser Cutter. d3c4f may bring his in after we get going, or we may buy a new one.
- Possible Vinyl Cutter. Again, this will be if there is space / time available.
- Possibly the drill press and a few of the safer tools, as insurance will allow.